OVERVIEW OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect personal information that you provide directly, information about how you use our Services and information from third party sources. We use this information to provide you with Services, understand the way you use our Services so we can improve and personalize your experience and to develop the most relevant apps, technologies, and content for our customers. We also use personal information to provide customized advertising tailored to your interests.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may share your personal information with affiliate companies of Samsung, as well as with companies that provide services on behalf of Samsung. We may also share your personal information with trusted partner companies, such as mobile service providers or insurance companies, that provide you with products and services that you request and information about products and services you may be interested in. We share personal information with law enforcement agencies when it’s required by law or to protect Samsung and its users.
Effective Date: 21 Nov 2019
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
Samsung collects your personal information in a variety of ways. Information You Provide Directly
Some Services enable you to give us information directly. For example:
• When you create an account or profile with us, we may ask for information such as your name, date of birth, or email address.
• If you order a Product or paid Service from us, we may ask for your name, address, contact information, and shipping and payment information to process your order.
• To provide responses when you contact Customer Service, we may need information to identify and authenticate your identify and the Product you’re inquiring about.
• When you communicate with our Customer Service staff or others, your communications will be transmitted through our systems.
• If you share your contacts, we will collect their phone numbers and other contact information to facilitate file sharing and messaging. You can turn off or restrict these features in Settings on your Products.
Information About Your Use of Services
In addition to the information you provide, we will collect information about your use of our Services, such as through software on your Products and by other means. We will collect:
• Product information: Your hardware model, Product hardware information, IMEI number and other unique device identifiers, phone number, serial number, sales code, access recording, current software version, MCC (Mobile Country Code), MNC (Mobile Network Code), MAC address, IP address, Android Advertising ID, cookies, pixels, subscription information, operating system versions, and settings of the Products you use to access Services.
• Log information: Diagnostic, technical, error, and usage information such as the time and duration of your use of Services, search query terms when you enter search terms into your Product in connection with a particular Service, and any information stored in cookies that we have set on your Products.
• Location information: Your Product’s GPS signal or information about nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers that may be transmitted to us when you use certain Services and enable the Location function.
• Voice information: Recordings of your voice that we make and store on our servers when you enable this function and use voice commands to control a Service, or when you contact our Customer Service team. Note that if we work with a third party service provider that provides speech-to-text conversion services on our behalf, this provider may receive and store certain voice commands in accordance with the contract concluded between us and our trusted third-party service provider.
• Samsung Keyboard information: The words that you type when you enable Predictive text. This feature may be offered in connection with your Samsung account to synchronize the data for use on your other Samsung products. You can clear the data by going to the Predictive text settings.
• Viewing Information: The networks, channels, websites visited, and programs viewed on your Products and the amount of time spent viewing them.
• Other information about your use of Products and Services, such as the apps you use, the websites you visit, and how you interact with content offered through Products or Services.
Publicly or Commercially Available or Shared Information
We may receive information about you from publicly or commercially available sources, including such information about you from third party social networking services you use, and combine this with other information about you so that we can better understand your needs, interests, and preferences. We also may receive information about you when other people provide it using our Services, such as your name and contact information when others send a message to you or share files with you.
Other Information We Collect
We may also collect other information about you, your Products, or your use of Services that you consent to send us.
Third Party Analytics
Through certain Services, we may collect personal information about your online activities on websites and connected Products over time and across third-party websites, Products, apps and other online features and services. We may use third-party analytics services on the Services, such as those of Google Analytics. The service providers that administer these analytics services help us to analyze your use of the Services and improve the Services. The information we obtain may be disclosed to or collected directly by these providers and other relevant third parties who use the information, for example, to evaluate use of the Services, help administer the Services and diagnose technical issues. To learn more about Google Analytics, please visit http://www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html and https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
You can choose not to provide us with certain types of information, such as information requested as part of registering a Samsung account. In some cases, this may limit your ability to use some Services. We will do our best to explain these limitations when we’re asking for your information so you can make an informed decision. For example, Samsung Cloud allows you to back up your information and create a restore point; however, Samsung Cloud was not designed nor intended to store or process sensitive personal information.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION?
We use the information we collect for the following purposes:
• To help you or your Product register for our Services;
• To provide a Service or feature you request;
• To process your orders submitted through our e-Store platform (“Platform”); • To complete the transactions between you and us as e-commerce reseller;
• To deliver Products that you purchase from our Platform through our authorised courier service company; • To inform and update you on the delivery of the Products and for customer support purposes;
• To verify and carry out financial transactions in relation to payments you may make online;
• To provide customized content and personalized services based on your past activities on our Services;
• To provide customized advertising, promotions, and offers that might interest you on our websites, third-party websites, and online platforms such as social media sites;
• To provide promotions and offers by way of direct marketing communications, only where you have given us your separate consent;
• To analyze our Products and Services to help us better understand our customers in order to offer the most relevant communications, services, and experiences to you;
• To ask you for your opinions on our Products and Services and to carry out customer surveys, with your separate consent if required;
• To provide software updates, maintenance services, important notices and support for your Products
To administer contests, lucky draws, redemptions or similar promotions that you enter into, where you have given us your separate consent;
• To comply with the law and legal processes;
• To protect the rights, property, or safety of Samsung, or any of our affiliates, business partners, or customers; and
Otherwise with your consent.
We use and combine the information we collect about you from our Services, Products, or other sources to provide you with a better experience. For example, you can use your Samsung account details not only on the Service you registered with, but other Services which use Samsung accounts. We also use the information you provide directly or through other sources as described above to provide content you may like or that you’ve personalized.
You have choices about your information. Check out the WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS? section to learn more.
Samsung processes personal information for the purposes described above. Samsung’s legal basis to process personal information includes processing:
(i) So that we can keep our promises to you, such as providing you with our Services;
(ii) To promote our business interests (for example, to manage our relationship with you and improve your customer service experience), including communications on our website, third party websites, and online platforms
(iii) To comply with the law and legal processes;
(iv) With your consent (for example, to send direct marketing communications). If you give consent, you can always withdraw your consent by following the unsubscribe instructions included in the communication or by changing your settings for specific Services or when we give you a just-in-time notice, or by visiting relevant webpages. Please note that unsubscribing from receiving marketing communications from a Product or Service may not stop all of the ads (including customized ads) provided by Samsung. You may continue to receive ads from if you have consented to receiving them from other Products or Services. Please visit the settings menu in the applicable Product or Service for more information on how to opt out of such ads from such Product or Service.
WHO DO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH?
We will disclose your information internally within our business, but only to those who need it to further provide Services or to help with your requests.
We will also disclose your information to the following entities, only to the extent that this will be necessary to provide our Services, to help with your requests or with your consent:
• Business Partners: Partners who we work together with to provide you the Services you’ve requested or bought. For example, we may work with a bank so that you can use one of our Services to make faster and more efficient payments. These business partners control and manage your personal information.
• Service Providers: Carefully selected companies that provide services for or on behalf of us, such as companies that help us with billing or online payment, courier services, setting up and/or maintaining the Platform, repairs, customer contact centers, redemption centers, customer care activities, customer event organizers, advertising (including customized advertising on our websites, third-party websites, or online platforms), conducting customer satisfaction surveys, sending emails and other forms of communications on our behalf, performing data analytics, or operating data management platforms. These providers are also committed to protecting your information.
• Other Parties when Required by Law or as Necessary to Protect Our Services: For example, it may be necessary by law, legal process, or court order from governmental authorities to disclose your information. They may also seek your information from us for the purposes of law enforcement, national security, anti-terrorism, or other issues that are related to public security.
• Other Parties in Connection with Corporate Transactions: We may disclose your information to a third party as part of a merger or transfer, acquisition or sale, or in the event of a bankruptcy.
HOW DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SECURE?
We take data protection seriously. We have put in place physical and technical safeguards to keep the information we collect secure. However, please note that although we take reasonable steps to protect your information, no
website, Internet transmission, computer system, or wireless connection is completely secure.
WHERE DO WE SEND YOUR DATA?
Your use of our Services will involve the transfer, storage, and processing of your personal information within and outside Singapore, consistent with this policy, including, without limitation, countries in the European Economic Area, the Republic of Korea, the United States of America, China, Singapore, Vietnam, India, Malaysia, Canada, the Philippines, and Japan. Please note that the data protection and other laws of countries to which your information may be transferred might not be as comprehensive as those in your country.
WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS?
Your personal information belongs to you. You can ask us to provide details about what we’ve collected, and you can ask us to correct any inaccuracies. If permitted by law, we may charge you a small fee for providing you with this ability. We may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, are extremely impractical, or for which access is not otherwise required by local law.
To make a request concerning your rights or to make an inquiry, contact us. See the CONTACT US section.
HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION?
We will not keep your personal information for longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. This means that information will be anonymized, destroyed or erased from our systems when it’s no longer required.
We take appropriate steps to ensure that we process and retain information about you based on the following logic:
1. At least the duration for which the information is used to provide you with a Service;
2. As required under law, a contract, or with regard to our statutory obligations; or
3. Only for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, is processed, or longer if required under any contract, by applicable law, or for statistical purposes, subject to appropriate safeguards.
WHAT THIRD-PARTY SERVICES DO WE USE?
If you choose to connect the Services with a social networking service, we may receive and store authentication information from that service to enable you to log in, as well as other information that you allow us to receive. Also, please note that if you choose to connect with a social networking service on a Product used by people in addition to you, those other users may be able to see information stored or displayed in connection with your account on the social networking service(s) with which you connect.
COOKIES, BEACONS, AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
Cookies are small files that store information on your computer, TV, mobile phone, or other device. They enable the entity that put the cookie on your Product to recognize you across different websites, services, devices, and browsing sessions. Cookies serve many useful purposes. For example:
• Cookies help us and third parties understand which parts of our Services are the most popular because they help us to see which pages and features visitors are accessing and how much time they’re spending on the pages. Studying this information helps us to adapt the Services and provide you with a better experience.
• Cookies help us and third parties to provide you with relevant content and advertising by collecting information about your use of our Services and other websites and apps.
When you use a web browser to access Services, you can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is sent. Each browser is different, so check the help menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. Your Product operating system may contain additional cookie controls. Note that some Services are designed to work using cookies, so disabling cookies may affect your ability to use those Services or certain parts of them.
Other Local Storage
We, along with certain third parties, may use other kinds of local storage technologies, such as Local Shared Objects (also referred to as Flash cookies) and HTML5 local storage, in connection with our Services. These technologies are similar to the cookies discussed above. They’re stored on your Products and can be used to store certain information about your activities and preferences. However, these technologies may make use of different parts of your Products from standard cookies, so you might not be able to control them using standard browser tools and settings. For information about disabling or deleting information contained in Local Shared Objects, visit http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html.
We, along with certain third parties, may use technologies called beacons or pixels that communicate information from your Product to a server. Beacons can be embedded in online content, videos, and emails, and can allow a server to read certain types of information from your Product, know when you’ve viewed particular content or a particular email message, and determine the time and date on which you viewed the beacon and the IP address of your Product. We and certain third parties use beacons for a variety of purposes, including to analyze the use of our Services and, along with cookies, to provide content and ads that are more relevant to you.
You can contact us to update your preferences, correct your information, submit a request, or ask us questions at:
The Data Protection Officer
Samsung SDS Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
30 Pasir Panjang Road #16-31 Mapletree Business City Singapore 117440